February 20, 2016

On February 8-14, 2016, no victims to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus were reported

During the week on February 8-14, 2016, no victims to the armed conflict in Northern Caucasus were reported. These are the results of the calculations run by the "Caucasian Knot" based on its own materials and information from other open sources.
Special and counterterrorist operations
At about 2:00 p.m. on February 8, inMakhachkala, law enforcers blocked a section of Imam   Shamil Avenue between Tashkent Street and Agasiev Street. According to a source from the law enforcement bodies of Dagestan, people were evacuated from No. 15 inImam Shamil Avenue. Later, a source from the Dagestani law enforcement bodies explained that Imam Shamil Avenuewas closed for targeted checks and that the information about the blocking of a house with militants was not correct.
At 5:00 a.m. on February 12, the counterterrorist operation (CTO) legal regime was introduced within the territory of the Khasavyurt District of Dagestan, and law enforcers started to search for members of illegal armed formations (IAFs). When combing the area near the village of Endirei, law enforcers discovered a militants' camp, which, according to the preliminary information, sheltered four IAF members. An armed clash occurred.
On February 9, it was reported that staff members of the Chief Department of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) for the North-Caucasian Federal District (NCFD) detained a 34-year resident of the village of Islamei of the Baksan District of Kabardino-Balkaria. Investigators believe that he helped members of the armed underground and provided them with shelter and food. During interrogation, he confessed that in the period from June to July 2013, he rendered assistance to four IAF members, provided them with shelter and food and also contributed to their hidden movement. The militants, whom, according to the police, the detainee used to help, were killed during a special operation in July 2013.
On February 9, imam of a Salafi mosque was detained by law enforcers in the territory of the "Airport" residential district of Derbent. By the evening, a large group of mosque-goers gathered in front of the police station, and they demanded to release the imam. Derbent policemen opened fire into the air and demanded from the believers of the Salafi mosque to stop their protest action. After a fight with law enforcers, three protesters were brought to the police station. The imam detained by the police is suspected of illegal deprivation of liberty of a 27-year Derbent woman and her four-year-old child, reports Rasul Temirbekov, the spokesman of the Investigating Department for Dagestan of the Investigating Committee of the Russian Federation (ICRF).
On February 12, the Friday prayer in the Salafi mosque in the "Airport" residential district of the city of Derbent gathered almost twice less people than usual: about 1000 people instead of the usual figure of 2000 people. The preaching was delivered by the deputy imam. The entrance was blocked, and law enforcers detained people going to pray at the mosque. Officials from the Derbent GOVD (City Interior Division) have confirmed that not more than 10 people were brought to their place for check and that they were later released.

Source: http://eng.kavkaz-uzel.ru/articles/34611/
© Caucasian Knot

Circassian Question
Articles How Circassians are reclaiming their roots after many years of suppression